Sherry, Sherry Baby

Jersey Boys was a movie I had wanted to see since I first saw the previews last year. I am a sucker for music biography films and usually am never disappointed by how they play out.
Photo by Forbes
While I didn't know much about The Four Seasons as a band, I love their music from the 1950's and 1960's so I knew the film's soundtrack would be good enough of a reason to give it a go. That and the fact that Clint Eastwood both produced and directed the film.

The movie is overall really well done. I loved how authentic the scenes seemed in terms of eras and the cast's acting and singing is really fantastic.

I do have a few problems with the film's style overall however. First off, it was kind of hard to follow! I watched it with my sister and multiple times we found ourselves confused about where the band was or even what time period they were supposed to be in. They do show time and period overlays in the film but only twice! I had wikipedia handy in order to clarify different moments in the film.
Photo by NYPost
The other issue I had was with the overall narrating. All four men took turns as narrator which I did enjoy because they all saw different events in the band's life in totally different ways. However they did this commentating by looking directly at the camera and talking to the audience as if they were telling a story. It just felt kind of cheesy to me personally and the film could of probably done without it and still told a strong story.

Over all I really did love this movie and highly suggest it to anyone who loves musical biography films like I do. It does clock in at a little over two hours so make sure you have a clear night if you plan to watch it! If you guys have seen this film, what did you think of it? I would love to know your thoughts below! Also I would love to start reviewing movies on the blog let me know what you think! Talk to ya soon.

2 comments:

  1. I don't really know what Jersey Boys is about to be honest! But I've always heard people say the stage version is good. I'll have to give it a go :) xx

    xbeccabe.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure going in either but it's really good! I definitely want to see the stage version sometime too:) I hope you like it Becca!

      Delete